Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Paula Harting's 2nd book review!

Dahl, R. (1980). The Twits. New York, New York: Penguin Putnam Inc.
Mr. and Mrs. Twit are a nasty couple who are cruel to each other and everyone else. They constantly pull awful tricks on each other and are generally disgusting people.
I first had this book read to me when I was seven or eight years old. My brothers and I were thoroughly grossed out and thought it was the best story ever. I have read it since and still find it quite amusing.
This book is well suited for 4th-6th grade, but older children and adults will enjoy it as well. The short chapters, lively illustrations, and entertaining story make it as easy read, even for struggling readers. This book could be a good teaching tool for creative writing and I would definitely recommend it for independent reading.

Dahl's in-depth study of his characters and his curiosity about certain subjects (see the chapter entitled "Hairy Faces") contains some social commentary as well. The plight of the ill-treated monkeys Mr. Twit keeps in his backyard may be an allusion to slavery, unfair labor laws or, more obviously, animal cruelty. The illustrations by Quentin Blake are also very memorable and contribute to the story.

Some better-known books by Roald Dahl include: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach, and Matilda.

No comments:

Post a Comment